среда, 19 февраля 2014 г.

A FINAL NOTE: THE BUTTERFLY-BREASTSTROKE


Before we move on, I should say a word about the butterfly-breaststroke. In competition (with the exception of Masters), the butterfly can only be swum using the dolphin kick. However, many Masters swimmers, as well as most noncompetitive swimmers, prefer to swim the fly with a breaststroke kick.
The butterfly-breaststroke is not nearly as fast or efficient as the modern butterfly, but for many people, especially those with a powerful breaststroke kick, it can be much easier to learn. Also, because it allows you to rest during the glide after each kick, it is not as tiring as the fly.
In the butterfly-breaststroke, the arm stroke is exactly the same as in the butterfly, and the kick is the whip kick used in the breaststroke (see Chapter 9). The kick should occur just before the arms enter the water—precisely when the first downbeat is made in the conventional butterfly. You also breathe just as you do in the fly, inhaling during the final phase of the arm stroke.
I find the butterfly-breaststroke useful during the early part of the season, when I’m trying to round myself into shape. If I am swimming the fly and find I’m tiring badly, I throw in a lap of butterfly-breaststroke rather than stopping and resting. That way I can pick up the fly at the next turn and keep going.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий